Staff Attorney - Immigration
Reports to: Executive Director
Position: Full Time, exempt
Location: Morgan Hill, CA (temporarily remote)
Salary Range: DOE plus benefits
Organization OverviewStep Forward Foundation is a non-profit organization providing specialized legal services to low-income communities in Santa Clara, San Benito, and Monterey Counties. We currently provide immigration and family law in-house, and employment law representation through a partnership with local experts. We are a small close-knit group of social justice-minded professionals serving primarily victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking. We prioritize providing victim-centered and trauma-informed representation in partnership with victim services organizations. While our attorneys have areas in which they develop expertise, we value cross-training and broad competence in our respective fields. Step Forward staff is currently working remotely due to the Covid pandemic and engages in virtual meetings, communication, and case work. The Staff Attorney will be expected to be in the office part time or full time in the future depending on safety guidelines.
Position Overview:We are looking for an attorney to join our immigration team to provide one-on-one consultations and to represent primarily individuals in removal proceedings, particularly with asylum seekers, and filing affirmative cases.
Primary Attorney Role:
- Conduct intakes and legal consultations at Family Justice Centers (typically one day per week) and other group legal clinics as required (approx. 10% of time)
- Represent immigrants (primarily asylum seekers) in removal proceedings before EOIR and the BIA (approx. 80% of time)
- Represent immigrants in affirmative cases (primarily Us, Ts, and VAWAs) before USCIS and the AAO (approx. 10% of time)
- Engage in community activities, such as Know Your Rights presentations, media interviews, and tabling at events
- Drafting and reviewing community education materials
- Network with sister agencies, such as other legal organizations and victim service providers, to support collaboration
- Assist with meeting grant deliverables that fund the immigration legal program